Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Halloween / Sandy

I LOVE HALLOWEEN. I really do. I attribute it to the fact that I have always had amazing costumes. My mimi is a top-knotch seamstress, and she always made me elaborate, crazy-awesome costumes. Everything from the Statue of Liberty to Glenda the Good Witch (complete with gigantic beautiful crown) to Harry Potter. And she was sweet enough to make my (surprisingly complicated) costume this year! I went with a Game of Thrones Daenerys Targaryen costume (KHALEESI)!

Amazing, right?

So anyway, Eliana and I had a Halloween party!

So if you know anything about Game of Thrones, you know that Daenerys Targaryen is the mother of dragons. Therefore, Eliana dressed up as a dragon.
My dragon trying to eat me?

Trying really hard to pose for a serious picture


...our best attempt at an in-character picture. This is who we are, people.

Hanna dressed as a Freudian Slip. GET IT? I love this costume.


Sam and Patrick. not sure what's happening here...

David (who is maybe dressed as Ira Glass?) and Sarah, dressed as Flo from the Progressive commercials!

Chioma (dressed as a witch, even though you can't see the top of her hat) and me!


Captain Dragon


Rachel and Mikey aka Wendy and Peter Pan!

That was Friday night. And then came...Sandy. All day Saturday, all my family members were calling, texting, and e-mailing to make sure I was prepared. Eliana (my roommate), who is a born-and-raised New Yorker, p'shawed. "It'll just rain a little bit." I agreed with her, but I was also a little anxious. So I stocked up on bottled water, SPAM, and triple-A's, just in case. Sunday is when the rain started and when NYU canceled class. Of course, I was psyched. By the end of Monday (having been INCREDIBLY unproductive due to canceled school), I was getting a little bored. Well, Sandy took care of that! I live in lower Manhattan, so around 8:30 Monday night, we lost power. Naturally, our immediate reaction was to build a blanket fort.


BLANKET FORT!!!

Sign on the door to the emergency exit in my dorm.
Our rations during the blackout.
Only I would make a salad in the middle of a blackout. (Gotta eat those veggies/cheeses before they spoil!)

Ensuring everyone that I was okay and safe in my blanket fort.
"I'm ready for the lights to come back."
The next day, after it stopped raining, we ventured out to see what we could see. Here are some Hurricane Sandy pictures.
Stoplights were out.

Only a few intersections had traffic cops. New Yorkers seemed to be driving civilly, though (for the first time ever).

Working on the subway 


The entire facade was ripped off
Below the facade-less building 
The small yellow taped-up sign says "Cell Phone Charging" 

Lots of downed limbs everywhere

Tuesday night, when told to evacuate, instead of squatting in the student center, we high-tailed it out to Queens to Eliana's home! (Although, Alec Baldwin did visit the refugees staying in the student center. But showers and sleeping in a bed beats Alec Baldwin, I must say.) We ate a lot of junk food, watched a lot of Friends, and I saw Star Wars (Episode IV) for the first time (I KNOW, HOW HAD I NOT SEEN IT BEFORE). We had a nice, long Sandycation, but I must say, I was glad to get back to normal life. 

I am proud to say I survived my first hurricane! I was very fortunate to not be all that affected by the storm, unlike a lot of other New Yorkers, who have lost their homes. I highly encourage all of you to help in any way you can! Feminspire.com posted a fantastic list of ways you can lend a hand here: http://feminspire.com/how-you-can-help-victims-of-superstorm-sandy/

Stay warm, everyone! A "nor'easter" (I still don't understand what this means, even after having it explained to me several times and comprehensively scanning the Wikipedia page. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE A BLIZZARD TO ME.) has hit us, and it is fierce. This Little Bitty is not accustomed to all this extreme East Coast weather. Throw a tornado my way, I am a champ. But hurricanes and nor'easters? I haven't got a clue.

4 comments:

  1. Kirsten, your mimi did such a great job on that costume! But I must say, you sure do pull off that look! Hot mama!!
    Hurricane Sandy was no match for the blanket fort ya'll built I see!!! So glad ya'll are okay, I was definitely worried about you and thankful you were safe. Now what the heck is a nor'easter?! Is there a nor'easter bunny? I'm going to wikipedia now, too. Stay safe sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady!! I kind of wish I could wear that outfit in real life.
      The nor'easter so far just seems like really windy snow! But it hasn't canceled school so I guess it can't be that bad. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nor'easter bunny. if there is going to be horizontal snow I at least want to get some chocolate out of it!!!

      Delete
  2. your costume is so spot on!
    i'm glad you're ok through the storm! i was gonna say that you're a pro at this as a texan, but i guess we're from different parts of texas, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!
      yeah! although I must say, getting through the hurricane didn't feel all that different from a tornado. but all this crazy snow is still beyond me.

      Delete